Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2023, 12:28 PM   #21
Platinum Member

So in post #4 above, I showed a pic of our originally configured hitch carrier with our gasoline jerry can and Yeti cooler, but it was always intended to be adaptable to the needs of specific trips.

We did this mod to replace the Yeti cooler with two cheap cargo boxes that we reinforced with steel strapping and angle pieces, and yes, there are six bolts directly through the metal frame of the hitch carrier, making the assembly more solid than it appears.

This approach was partly motivated by cost - the commercial rear door cargo box options are beautiful but spendy and more importantly, they are too heavy for our rig whereas these aluminum versions are only 15 pounds each (we need to keep GVWR in mind). And also, I don’t want to store a lot of expensive stuff in these, so why go high-end? There are so many other ways that I would prefer our Sprinter to eat my wallet. The bottom Vevor box will carry the bush dunny, the dunny tent, a tabletop BBQ (sooty/greasy) plus other odds and ends. The top one will carry a 5-gallon bucket, water filter, snake boots, wet weather clothing, tarps, etc. I don’t need to spend almost two grand just to externalize that kind of simple stuff. We used mostly surplus hardware on this, so our total project cost was about $300.

Image collage below followed by a cranky 37-second video which will play even if it previews the gray screen of death:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:54 PM   #22

I just bought a Yakima exo swing out cargo hitch and box. Low profile holds quite a bit and on my promaster the license plate is still visible.
Sparks701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:37 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
I just bought a Yakima exo swing out cargo hitch and box. Low profile holds quite a bit and on my promaster the license plate is still visible.
Thanks - also considering the Yakima EXO system. Lots of capability and flexibility.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:03 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Another vote here for the Stowaway2 Hitch Mounted carrier. I have the swing out frame and their basket bolted to it. It allows the Sprinter's door to clear, but just barely, unless you apply some downward force on the carrier as you open the door. With the carrier swung out, the van's door clears fine. I've added a license plate holder to the carrier basket and connected to the 7-way trailer plug to illuminate the plate when the lights are on.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 08:48 PM   #25

Default Happy with my PakMule Scout

2023 Pleasureway Ontour 2.2 on the Ford Transit 350HD Chassis.
I haven't seen anyone vote for the PakMule line of carriers.
They are on the pricier side, but with your note that the Yakima Exo system is on your radar, it's in the same range.

My PakMule is exceptionally well made and far exceeds your 200lb rating requirement. As a bonus, they are made in America.

The constant relocation of the license plate is a bummer for the Ford, but it's what it is.

I added some small taillights: CURT 53201 Auxiliary Automotive LED Light Strips for Hitch Cargo Carrier

Hope you find the carrier that fits your needs.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:42 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevon View Post
I have no regrets buying a Stowaway max cargo carrier. Well made, carries a lot of stuff that would normally be cluttering the RT and it’s easy to put on.
Ditto. And our Stowaway 2 does not affect the drive of our 19 foot RT.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote