Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
BEF

Default Anyone have experience with Fleetwood IROK

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the Fleetwood IROK. I believe it is rebranded from Midwest Automotive Designs and identical to the Midwest Automotive Legend. In particular, it appears they have an "ECO-Freedom" package with 600 AH lithium, 3,000 W inverter, and 2nd alternator. Thoughts, feedback and/or impressions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Edit: also has an upgrade to a 20,000 BTU 12V DC Air Conditioner
BEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

First off, we like the vans that MAD builds out for their own label, for American Coach, and for Fleetwood. However, for that lithium package, take a look at their water heater solution. As I recall, it's electric only, and it's a tank (e.g. not an on-demand solution). No propane, because there's no propane in the van. Make sure you're OK with the performance profile - how much electricity will the water heater eat up over time if you're dry-camping? If the numbers work for you, I'd suggest the IROK could be a great choice. If not, look elsewhere for a lithium-equipped van.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
BEF

Thanks for following up. I had not thought about that (so much to consider when you are just starting the research with no past experience).

Part of the reason for reaching out is that the nearest dealer to us (1 hour & 15 minutes away) looks to only sell Pleasure Way and MAD Class Bs. The next nearest 1 hour & 40 minutes away) also sells Roadtreks. So our options are somewhat limited if we want to stay close to home for our first RV.

Our use case will probably be more "touring" and less long duration dry camping in one place. Again, thanks for the feedback and good to hear that MAD builds a good product.
BEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Here's another recommendation: Once you have some idea which vans you are really interested in, take a hard look at used versions of those vans that are close to you. RV Trader is one great source for listings on used vans. I have a personal preference for private sales, but dealers will also list used vans when they get one in stock. As always, buyer beware, make sure it's a real van from a real seller who has a clean title to the vehicle, and go in with your eyes open. We bought our 2016 Airstream Interstate that way - private sale, clean title, cash deal (wire transfer), and it worked out well. We saved a lot of money compared with a brand new Class B RV, and we're using some of that money to add a few improvements to the van that we couldn't get from the manufacturer.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Those are all good suggestions on the IROK. I have a 2019 IROK, but not the Eco-Freedom package - even though it does have enough solar for our needs. I think MAD are a great coach-builder; their customer service group is wonderful to work with (our dealer - not so much). I could never understand why the Eco-Freedom package has such a massive A/C unit; mine is 13,000 - and does the job very well.
DesertCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #6

We just purchased one and drove it home. Having a bit of an issue in that the solar and engine are not charging the batteries from what I can see, but hopefully it's just a setting. Other than that it was a great 2000 mile trip back home.
asawyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Congrats! I had some difficulty with the settings at first myself; I suggest that you take some pics of displays - and reach out to Customer Service at MAD. I am certain they can help you.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #8

No one at the dealership mentioned MAD.
Do you have their number?
Old 01-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I don't know how good your dealer is with these kind of things; but as I stated in an earlier post, I have found MAD to be very helpful on things like this. Here is their website:

https://midwestautomotivedesigns.com
Old 01-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #10

Thanks so much