Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 11:49 PM   #21
Platinum Member

The Hymer MLT 580 pictured on the Hymer USA website is a compact (23ft) European Semi-Integrated design that's 9.5 ft tall and 83.5 inches wide. Shorter than an extended Sprinter van and the same width as a Promaster or Transit. It shares some design features, such as in-floor heating, with the B-Box and has a capacious heated rear storage garage.

Unfortunately Hymer USA's scheduled 2021 introduction got postponed due to Coronavirus. So 2022 looks like the earliest we might see their US offerings.

Meanwhile Winnebago is touting a 'completely different' Class C model introduction on Nov 18th. It will be interesting to see if that finally addresses the Semi-Integrated (compact footprint, no overcab) design niche for the US.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:28 AM   #22
Bronze Member

The Sprinter Crew Van has a width of 95.5 inches which is wider than the Trend 23L. But I would much prefer Trend 23L to having to tow a trailer or put gear on the roof of a smaller RV.

To go with a small Class B RV means being Spartan in what one takes on the road and willing to limit the length of their trips or their activities. For years I used a pickup with a raised platform and a foam pad to sleep on and my food and gear under the platform.
It was OK but not something I would recommend. Also two people means more space needed for clothing and equipment and sleeping than what is needed for a solo traveler.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
The Hymer MLT 580 pictured on the Hymer USA website is a compact (23ft) European Semi-Integrated design that's 9.5 ft tall and 83.5 inches wide. Shorter than an extended Sprinter van and the same width as a Promaster or Transit. It shares some design features, such as in-floor heating, with the B-Box and has a capacious heated rear storage garage.

Unfortunately Hymer USA's scheduled 2021 introduction got postponed due to Coronavirus. So 2022 looks like the earliest we might see their US offerings.

Meanwhile Winnebago is touting a 'completely different' Class C model introduction on Nov 18th. It will be interesting to see if that finally addresses the Semi-Integrated (compact footprint, no overcab) design niche for the US.
Yep, properly configured with options (solar, bigger AGM battery, inverter, etc) this one would probably meet my spec. Unfortunately it’s (today) just another paper (vapor?) tiger. I’m not a big fan of the cab/chassis (cutaway) builds — my experience suggests the truck builders produce a stronger, more water-tight, longer lasting product.

Thanks for the pointer though, hopefully domestic builders are hearing the footsteps ...
Yak-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:39 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Class B motorhomes are small, streamlined and ready to roll. Nimble and more fuel efficient than Class C motorhomes, Class B motorhomes offer living space best suited for small groups. ... Often called Camper Vans, Class B motorhomes are built using automotive vans or panel trucks. I think Nissan is the only brand offering a "panel truck".
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:01 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
The Sprinter Crew Van has a width of 95.5 inches which is wider than the Trend 23L. But I would much prefer Trend 23L to having to tow a trailer or put gear on the roof of a smaller RV.

To go with a small Class B RV means being Spartan in what one takes on the road and willing to limit the length of their trips or their activities. For years I used a pickup with a raised platform and a foam pad to sleep on and my food and gear under the platform.
It was OK but not something I would recommend. Also two people means more space needed for clothing and equipment and sleeping than what is needed for a solo traveler.
I think you are confused. A Sprinter van is 6'-4" wide (76") Maybe you are reading the mirrors out to out which would make the Trend even wider as the cab would need extended mirrors to see around the body. The OP asked about vans not Class C's.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post

I hope Hymer can bring some of their designs to North America, especially the Semi-integrated designs built on the Promaster chassis cab. I have a Roadtrek 210P, and their is nothing like it presently available. Just a little bit more width with some external storage, like the 210.
peteco is online now   Reply With Quote