Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default RT 210P power sofa

Question for anyone who has a Roadtrek, any other Class B for that matter, that has a power sofa. We use sleeping bags, thick ones during early spring and thin fleece ones during warmer months.

How does the power sofa sleep? Do you feel the lines in the sofa? Especially the large one where the back of the sofa meets the seat portion.

My wife is reluctant to get a Roady with the power sofa. She fears it will not sleep well.
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We have a 190P with the power rear sofa. I come from a backpacking background, and my wife comes from a culture accustomed to sleeping on floor mats. On the other hand, we are neither as limber as we once were. We use sleeping bags and are comfortable. It’s not as smooth and uniform as our mattress at home, but it’s a step up from the thinner and firmer cushions in our travel trailer, and a huge step up from the ground. We need the extra seats, so it’s the best compromise for us.

I think it’s about managing expectations.

We don’t use the filler cushions (“twin” set-up). The notch at the foot allows easy exits for nighttime potty visits, but the full width sofa across the back makes it feel like a shared bed. Works for us.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We do the same as Jon in AZ in our 12C190P. I have a hard time sleeping in different places, but the RT sofa/sleeper is comfortable enough for me. We use a thick comforter as a cushion and cover. We also don't use the filler cushions to make it easier to get up in the middle of the night.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We put a memory foam mattress topper on. It is 2 inches thick I think. Made a big difference for us. We leave bed made-up most of the time. We can rollup the topper when using the bed as a sofa.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have a 2007 RT 210 Versatile with the power sofa. We placed a 4 inch memory foam with a quilted topper on it and it sleeps very well.
I am 6'4" and I can stretch out and not touch the walls. Both my wife and I sleep on the power sofa comfortably.
We leave the sofa in the bed configuration.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I checked out an rv with power sofa and didn't like the loss of storage, the "something else to break" and I didnt particularly like the cushion tetris bed
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I checked out an rv with power sofa and didn't like the loss of storage, the "something else to break" and I didnt particularly like the cushion tetris bed
mike
With you on "something else to break." I’d have preferred a manual folding bench like an older van I had a long time ago, but it is what it is. I did find and print instructions for raising or lowering the bed manually just in case and put it with the owner’s manual in the van.

As to storage I have room under my folding sofa to store the spare tire, two tool bags, air compressor, cube heater, water hose, extension cord, and all the Reflectix panels for the windows when they're not in use. There's still room to tuck in small items like gloves and cleaning rags.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:31 AM   #8

Cool

We have a 2" memory foam mattress on our 210 Popular. (Before using the foam, sleeping comfort on the original sofa was not an issue for me). When we put the sofa up, we roll the memory foam and secure it with a strap.
AKFINEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #9
Platinum Member

We have a European style rock and roll sofa bed, good for sleeping, good for storage, and it takes seconds to change from sofa to bed and to sofa. Fully manual assisted with an air spring. https://goo.gl/photos/UVupnzpkrGAVs4sUA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7053350.jpg (464.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg GR160831.jpg (663.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GR160830.jpg (656.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GR160827.jpg (686.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Actual 10 1 2012 3 panels long slider 38 in.jpg (221.8 KB, 15 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #10

Default Camping pad

I use an inflatable camping pad underneath the sleeping bag. Super small storage, since hikers use them, and removed the feel of the “bend” in the sofa.
Southern Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:50 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I had a power sofa in my RV. It become impossible to sleep on, so I purchased a thin mattress from IKEA. During the day, the mattress was rolled and stored behind the seat. Eventually, I went through a renovation and had the sofa removed and twin beds put in. That solved the sleeping problem for good. I would love to get a newer RV, but will not purchase one with a power sofa.
drsdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I have a Queen SuperBag. Do a search online. It has the top and bottom sheet Velcroed in. I have a 1 inch piece of foam cut, a little smaller than the sheet, and it fits under the bottom sheet. Since it's under the velcroed sheet, it stays in place. Very comfy, and you don't feel the separation from the sofa. I then roll it up and it fits behind the back of the sofa. I do keep the sofa forward about 3-4 inches, but still plenty of leg room.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:33 PM   #13

Default Mats

They make thin sleeping mats that can easier be blown up to use on the sofa. We have a full gel mat that we use as a full bed instead of twins.
zehren@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #14

Default yoga mat

My wife uses a double folded yoga mat which eliminates the feeling of the cracks and is easy to store
ekkomig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
Question for anyone who has a Roadtrek, any other Class B for that matter, that has a power sofa. We use sleeping bags, thick ones during early spring and thin fleece ones during warmer months.

How does the power sofa sleep? Do you feel the lines in the sofa? Especially the large one where the back of the sofa meets the seat portion.

My wife is reluctant to get a Roady with the power sofa. She fears it will not sleep well.
I have a Pleasure way with power sofa. It has several inches of memory foam built in. Never felt the seams. I like the power sofa for ease of use, a few seconds to power down or up. We sleep with sheets and a comforter summer or winter, and the whole bed takes 5 minutes to make up or down. The only down side, is you lose some storage space under the sofa bed.
We love it.
Calsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the comments so far. Seems almost all have easy work arounds to make the sofa work fine. And only one disliked the sofa so much they eventually took it out.

I'll have to get my wife to read this thread.
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
Thanks for all the comments so far. Seems almost all have easy work arounds to make the sofa work fine. And only one disliked the sofa so much they eventually took it out.

I'll have to get my wife to read this thread.

There are quite a few of us that have taken out our power sofas, but maybe wouldn't always post on a how to make it more comfortable discussion. Some took out for comfort, some for reliability reasons, some because the power sofa uses up so much of the rear storage either by using the space breaking it up too much.

We didn't really mind the comfort all that much for the power sofa that was in our 07 190 Roadtrek as we both like very firm beds and it was nice and firm, even with the seams. It was too far out from the rear doors, though, and the pillows kept disappearing. We took ours out to get storage underneath back. I built a full time bed with tube steel frame and plywood deck that has no center supports needed. It leaves the entire underbed area clear without supports or dividers. We topped with a 5" very firm latex marine mattress that more comfortable than any house mattress we had ever found. We would never go back from the full time bed now that we have had it for about a decade.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:18 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Interesting idea to build a new frame. I don't like that the existing frame doesn't have a pass-through for longer items or just generally open to the back. We stuff our dirty clothes under the bed in a mesh bag but that doesn't work well when the furnace is required.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:07 PM   #19

I have a Roadtrek Agile SS 2013 with a power sofa. I find it extremely comfortable with just a sheet covering it, as comfortable as my bed at home. However, I sometimes have a guest who is annoyed by the creases, so she helps me cover it with a mattress pad or bedspread, and that does the trick. No more tears.
GaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum GaryL!

I agree with you, that my Airtream Avenue bed sleeps as well as our one at home. I don't know how that's possible given the creases. And while padding is comfortable, it's inches less thick than our memory foam bed at home. A single layer of sleeping bag works for us.

But I do understand others wanting a better sleep surface; at least those who (unlike us) did not get the "magic bed" models.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote