Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoAK View Post
Is the wheel well in the bathroom or behind it? I think the wheel well is only 21" from the rear door.
The wheel well is under the sink with vanity covering it in my Mies design so the floor pan is 31" x 30" with a toilet in that floor pan. The 38" is elbow space as in washing hair. That is the main reason I'm designing for the 2500 chassis because a 3500 dually wheel well is deeper.

I don't know what Gayle's is without going back to check but it is not that big. The typical ARV bathroom is about a 25" x 31" floor pan with a toilet in that space. Not much different than most other regular body 170 WB Sprinters. They utilize a Dutch door design with a shower curtain protrusion hanger to get more elbow room in the 25" direction. I don't think I need that.

ARV designed another 144 Sprinter for Sue Valentine called Bucky. It has a rather large bathroom space in the back of the van you might want to take a look at. They have videos featuring that one.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The wheel well is under the sink with vanity covering it in my Mies design so the floor pan is 31" x 30" with a toilet in that floor pan. The 38" is elbow space as in washing hair. That is the main reason I'm designing for the 2500 chassis because a 3500 dually wheel well is deeper.

I don't know what Gayle's is without going back to check but it is not that big. The typical ARV bathroom is about a 25" x 31" floor pan with a toilet in that space. Not much different than most other regular body 170 WB Sprinters. They utilize a Dutch door design with a shower curtain protrusion hanger to get more elbow room in the 25" direction. I don't think I need that.

ARV designed another 144 Sprinter for Sue Valentine called Bucky. It has a rather large bathroom space in the back of the van you might want to take a look at. They have videos featuring that one.
Thanks Davydd. That's a good use of the wheel well area. I suppose you are using the area behind the wheel well and the bathroom for storing your bikes. I am impressed with your design which is well thought-out and obviously based on a lot of experience.
I am planning to use folding bikes, hang them on the rear door and stow them in the isle when the van will be left unattended. Space becomes too premium when designing a full timing interior in a 144.
FLtoAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #63
Platinum Member

I have the philosophy to avoid anything hanging on the back. If hitch mounted it will be a minimum of 3 feet or more in van length. If so, you will get more bang for your buck just to buy a longer van and get more inside storage volume than you could put outside with a lot more security. I took one trip with a 20 CF cargo shell. It now resides in our daughter's back yard to put ice in and cool beer for parties.

In answer to the question storage in the back is 27 cubic feet stacked vertically and I can get two folding bikes and two inflatable kayaks if I desired. That is more practical and accessible than any storage under a bed that combines use such as sit down dining or sofa. The hiked up beds to get a garage space are nearly as tall as my top bunk and create the either/or situation in having to leave bikes outside when a bed is down.

I'm trying not to have convertible either/or spaces or having to temporarily store inside where we need to walk. We presently use our bathroom to put a collapsible dirty clothes hamper while driving but that goes in the cab behind the turned around passenger seat while parked. That's the extent of moving around things and I envision doing so again with the 144. We turn around our passenger seat almost immediately in our current van when parked.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:16 AM   #64

Davydd, All very good points. That's the advantage of having lived through a few monsoons - one gets to really know what one prefers! Thanks for your input.
FLtoAK is offline   Reply With Quote