RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 308
Default Winnebago EKKO

Winnebago is expected to announce its new EKKO model entry into the small B+ (aka B-Box) market on Nov 18th. Preliminary information indicates EKKO will be based on Ford's EcoBoost Transit Chassis with optional All Wheel Drive.

EKKO appears to mimic European Semi-Integrated designs with external dimensions equal to or smaller than Class B vans. Total length will be less than Winnebago's Era van based on the Sprinter chassis.

Additional features are expected to include fully insulated four season plumbing and HVAC systems, insulated windows, and an enclosed rear gear garage suitable for bikes and other outdoor equipment.

Note this information is based on industry supply chain sources and may differ from the final WGO product.
__________________

rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Winnebago is expected to announce its new EKKO model entry into the small B+ (aka B-Box) market on Nov 18th. Preliminary information indicates EKKO will be based on Ford's EcoBoost Transit Chassis with optional All Wheel Drive.

EKKO appears to mimic European Semi-Integrated designs with external dimensions equal to or smaller than Class B vans. Total length will be less than Winnebago's Era van based on the Sprinter chassis.

Additional features are expected to include fully insulated four season plumbing and HVAC systems, insulated windows, and an enclosed rear gear garage suitable for bikes and other outdoor equipment.

Note this information is based on industry supply chain sources and may differ from the final WGO product.

Fit RV earlier today.
__________________

Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 8,573
Default

It'll be interesting to see the finalized product height & width - I first want to know if it will fit in my garage like most B vans
__________________
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Fit RV earlier today.
Fit RV doesn't mention the model name but the description of their 'super secret winner best small RV' certainly appears to fit the EKKO model. And the end of their video zooms out to include the W logo which seems like further confirmation.

Top 3 small RVs from Fit RV's comparison:
1) Secret 'to be announced' small RV. (With red W logo visible in background).
2) Safari Condo XL Flex
3) Winnebago Revel
Note these final rankings were specific to Fit RV's cycling oriented outdoor sports, mobile office, and pet accommodation requirements. But their spreadsheet based ranking methodology could be adapted for other users and requirements.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 3
Default

Wonder if their whole video is nothing but a shill for Winnebago.
tshaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaner View Post
Wonder if their whole video is nothing but a shill for Winnebago.
What we want in a box B......oh, gee look: Winnebago just came out with it! What a coincidence.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,611
Default

Sounds like a terrific product. The next best thing to meet the Fit RV criteria list is the LTV Wonder RTB model. It's a pretty slick RV with gobs of storage, a great bike garage and all the amenities - but it is a tad large and I don't care for the overhangs side to side.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Sounds like a terrific product. The next best thing to meet the Fit RV criteria list is the LTV Wonder RTB model. It's a pretty slick RV with gobs of storage, a great bike garage and all the amenities - but it is a tad large and I don't care for the overhangs side to side.
I parked my Airstream Avenue (similar to the Roadtrek 190P) next to a Leisure Travel Unity just for a size comparison. It seemed gargantuan in relation and I didn't even pull in quite as far into the adjoining parking slot.

Of course, inside, it's probably 2.5 times more volume.
.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2276.jpg (151.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2274.jpg (182.2 KB, 35 views)
rowiebowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaner View Post
Wonder if their whole video is nothing but a shill for Winnebago.
I understand your skepticism but I would point out their ranking results were based on Fit RVs own specific set of bike storage, office workspace, and pet requirements. Another user, perhaps with more traditional priorities for TVs, convection oven, or glitzier finishes, could get entirely different results using the same Fit RV spreadsheet but their own weightings.

Having searched in frustration for US built Class Bs with interior bike/gear storage and back-road access capabilities I can sympathize with their findings, and the fact that their top-scoring class B result (Safari Condo) isn't even readily available for US buyers.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:52 AM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: FL
Posts: 104
Default

As long as WB maintains a 1-year non-transferrable warranty for their new units, I would never consider anything from them but a used one. I'd let someone else eat the depreciation and try to get everything fixed in the first year before taking a look.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 8,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As long as WB maintains a 1-year non-transferrable warranty for their new units, I would never consider anything from them but a used one. I'd let someone else eat the depreciation and try to get everything fixed in the first year before taking a look.
The warranty duration is disappointing. Back when the price for Winnebago Class B's was low, the short warranty was more understandable.

Example: The Travato was introduced with an MSRP of $84,000. Now the MSRP on the Travato is $128,000.
__________________
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,611
Default

LOL. What problems? I've had 4 Travatos over the years and only one warranty issue.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,093
Default

The FitRV's criteria for their new RV is similar to ours other than length. They seem to be growing where we deliberately went the other way under 20 feet. Our van is officially under way as of last week. Hope to take possession by the end of the year. I have an album here in Community:Pictures and Albums:Mies - "Less is more."

__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 8,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
LOL. What problems? I've had 4 Travatos over the years and only one warranty issue.

Welcome back wincrasher!


By that logic they should be able to extend it a 5 year warranty LOL
__________________
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Having searched in frustration for US built Class Bs with interior bike/gear storage and back-road access capabilities I can sympathize with their findings, and the fact that their top-scoring class B result (Safari Condo) isn't even readily available for US buyers.
I've designed a flexible storage space in a 144 WB Sprinter that can hold two hanging regular bicycles or two folding bicycles, or two inflatable kayaks inside, or just 27 cf of storage anyway you want it which is more space than what you can achieve under pull down sectional sofa/bed arrangements along with the, I think, largest bathroom in a Class B van of any size of 38" x 31." My kitchen galley is not too shabby either.

It does rely on bunk beds to free up floor space. The only similar designs are from a German company CS Reisemobile and an Australian custom upfitter, SScampervans. They both have the omnipresent design of a second row passenger seats with turn around cab seats which sacrifice storage in a short van. Also, most vans with bicycle garage storage are achieved by hiking up a climb into bed anyway like the FitRV "Lance."
__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #16
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,106
Default

Warranties are not magical elixirs. They are a purely financial instrument--somewhat similar to an insurance policy. They have a (statistical) cost to the OEM and a perceived value to a shopper in the marketplace. They also have an actual (statistical) value to the owner. Each of these can be assigned a dollar value.

Winnebago cares about the first two. They will spend money on warranty coverage rather than spending the money on, say, advertising only to the extent that they believe that that is the way to maximize sales. And, they are large enough that they probably know both the cost and the market value of an extra year of warranty very precisely--I suspect much more precisely than smaller players.

As for the value to the owner: That, too, can be quantified. There is a dollar amount at which you would be better off taking a lower purchase price rather than an extra year of warranty. It is not easy to estimate what that dollar amount is, but it exists. My guess is that most people greatly overestimate the value of each year of warranty--especially after the first. Most manufacturing defects make themselves known early on. Also, as experienced owners understand, actually collecting on a warranty claim is not always that easy.

Having SOME warranty is important, since it creates a disincentive to do sloppy work. But, IMO, the difference between one year and five years is not necessarily all that it is cracked up to be.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 8,573
Default

I've made the same argument/point in the past. I'd take a lower price over a longer warranty. Looks like you can get both with a Pleasure Way unit - lower starting price and a 5 year warranty. You might be able to get bigger discount off MSRP on a Winnebago product though..... so end cost might be similar.

Great West Vans had a 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first)
transferable to new owner on resale warranty. Seems pretty good to me. It could help owners on resale if they have to sell the unit in that time period. It would be awesome if Winnebago did the same.
__________________
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #18
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The FitRV's criteria for their new RV is similar to ours other than length. They seem to be growing where we deliberately went the other way under 20 feet. Our van is officially under way as of last week. Hope to take possession by the end of the year. I have an album here in Community:Pictures and Albums:Mies - "Less is more."

How did your toilet design turn out? Macerator, black tank size, shower layout?
rowiebowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #19
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,093
Default

We are going with a macerator toilet, a Thetford Tecma Silence Plus 2G Flyer. The bathroom dimension is 31" x 38" which is ample because you can shower with flying elbows. Also, where you stand is away from the curved outer wall. Fresh water tank size is 40 gallons. The toilet uses more water but it can be dialed down to a standard Dometic gravity toilet if you are using it just for No. 1. Black tank is 18.5 gallons and grey tank is 27.5 gallons. No mention if they can be combined like the B-Box. Final discharge is also a macerator. In my design you could have to option to put a composting toilet in or a cassette toilet in without going through an outer van wall but having it inside hidden and accessible by opening the back door. I rejected the cassette option because with the F,B and G tank sizes I can easily go two weeks between dumps and taking on fresh water with our past habits.
__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:56 AM   #20
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We are going with a macerator toilet, a Thetford Tecma Silence Plus 2G Flyer. The bathroom dimension is 31" x 38" which is ample because you can shower with flying elbows. Also, where you stand is away from the curved outer wall. Fresh water tank size is 40 gallons. The toilet uses more water but it can be dialed down to a standard Dometic gravity toilet if you are using it just for No. 1. Black tank is 18.5 gallons and grey tank is 27.5 gallons. No mention if they can be combined like the B-Box. Final discharge is also a macerator. In my design you could have to option to put a composting toilet in or a cassette toilet in without going through an outer van wall but having it inside hidden and accessible by opening the back door. I rejected the cassette option because with the F,B and G tank sizes I can easily go two weeks between dumps and taking on fresh water with our past habits.
Impressive bathroom size and tank capacities for a class b, and especially for a 19 footer. Your wet bath is more than 50% larger than mine and blank tank is nearly twice the size. As my grandpa used to say, "You done good."
__________________

rowiebowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×