Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2022, 01:54 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcTremblay View Post
This is very interesting. I’d like to do something like this in the future for my CrossFit. I’m still in the learning process. At the moment I’m displaying data on my android phone from my arduino clone Bluetooth. Android app is created with mit inventor on line. Check this out if you haven’t so far. It’s simple and free. You build a Bluetooth app in no time. No programming.
I'll look into MIT App Inventor - it looks like it cuts out most of the Android app dev headaches.

Right now I have a Raspberry Pi acting as the central node. The Pi (1) is directly attached to my two Victron MPPT solar controllers via their V.direct cables, (2) gathers data from directly attached DS18B20 temp sensors and (3) reads data from SensorPush temp sensors & Thornwave battery monitors via Bluetooth.

The data is all published to an MQTT broker running on the Pi, and from there another process on the Pi subscribes to the broker and uploads the data to the Blynk cloud via their API, where it's exposed to the Blynk android app via a handful of dashboards. The Blynk app is bi-directional, so I can feed parameters and configs back to the devices. It's mostly Python code running as cron jobs, so it's easy to SSH in and tweak as necessary.

The Pi could be replaced by and ESP or Arduino. That would be harder to develop, but probably less maintenance in the long run - no need to SSH in patch the OS every month or so.

Once I figure out a decent way to marry a Bluetooth ESP with the Nextion display, I'll have to decide how to move data to and from the sensors, the display, and the cloud. Either stick with the Pi or re-implement with a microcontroller.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
Once I figure out a decent way to marry a Bluetooth ESP with the Nextion display, I'll have to decide how to move data to and from the sensors, the display, and the cloud. Either stick with the Pi or re-implement with a microcontroller.
Got a bit further on this. I'm able to update the display via either Bluetooth LE (update a BLE characteristic) or via an MQTT publish message. Either will send a message to the Nextion serial port with an instruction to update a widget on the display. The display can also send events (messages) out via serial, which are then forwarded to both BLE and MQTT. This could be used to toggle stuff on & off, update other devices, etc.

All of my sensors and measurements are forwarded via MQTT, so in theory I can display anything that I can measure.

The display has a built-in real-time clock/calendar, so it keeps its own time with reasonable accuracy. The jumbo of numbers in the lower right corner are kernel stats from the micro-controller.

Still a prototype, but then so is life.

[poor quality photo attached...]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camperscreen.jpg (167.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Still messing with this status display. Still figuring out what makes the most sense visually.

New battery icons, battery charge indicators, min/max sweep hands on the fridge temperature gauge, icons to show Wi-Fi connection status and an animated fan icon that spins in proportion to the current fridge fan speed.

I've switched to a smaller ESP32 (M5Stamp Pico) and am planning on powering it via USB (5 volts) rather than 12 Volts.

Finding a properly sized black plastic case for mounting it is proving to be a challenge.

--Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camper-Control Panel 1.1.jpg (149.0 KB, 3 views)