Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 01:25 AM   #1

Default Rear Door Storage

My wife and I have completed our first road trip in our 2018 Pleasure Way Lexor on a 2017 Promaster 3500 chassis. Like everyone with a Class B you never have enough storage. We would like to know if anyone has removed the lower panels of the rear doors and used that cavity for storage. We were thinking we could configure the cavity to hold items that are currently stored under our rear sofa. For example Power cable and drinking hose. If you have done this or know why we shouldn't consider it please let us know. Links would be appreciated.
RMLetstryrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:49 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Does your van have insulated rear doors? In my van these rear doors cavities are filled with insulation except 2 small MB factory pockets.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Does your van have insulated rear doors? In my van these rear doors cavities are filled with insulation except 2 small MB factory pockets.
I don't know at this time, I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me. I borrowed the "removal tool" from a friend and was going to remove the panels next week to see if it was possible.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:36 AM   #4
Platinum Member

See post #8 of newly installed spare tire on Promaster without insulation.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post130225
Old 07-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMLetstryrving View Post
My wife and I have completed our first road trip in our 2018 Pleasure Way Lexor on a 2017 Promaster 3500 chassis. Like everyone with a Class B you never have enough storage. We would like to know if anyone has removed the lower panels of the rear doors and used that cavity for storage. We were thinking we could configure the cavity to hold items that are currently stored under our rear sofa. For example Power cable and drinking hose. If you have done this or know why we shouldn't consider it please let us know. Links would be appreciated.
Hi: I have a 2016 PW Lexor TS. I removed the drivers side panel to install a spare tire mount over 2 years ago. You can remove the inside panel and insulation. Store stuff if you want. I have seen pictures of Travato owners doing this.

Best of luck
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Like this?

Not mine.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Like this?

Not mine.
This will work, I will explore this option the next time I go to the RV.

Thanks everyone for your response.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #8
Site Team

When I designed our current van, I cleverly took advantage of similar nooks in the sides of the van to provide little storage spaces next to the bed for iPhones, glasses, etc.
IMG_12.JPG
This turned out to be a bad idea. When we are winter camping, cold just pours from these spaces. We have taken to stuffing them with dirty clothes when it is cold out.

As George says, these nooks should be filled with insulation. I guess if you don't camp in the winter, it is an OK idea, but we do, so I am not going to repeat my mistake on our next van.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:12 AM   #9
Platinum Member

My van conversion is based on passenger van model, my objective was to start with factory level fit and finish quality trim. Rear doors came with rear panels with small pockets with sufficient room for about 2” of Thinsulate between panels and door's skin. Perhaps it is possible to get this type of trim from passenger Promaster or Fiat from EU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZZGR0153.jpg (774.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:26 AM   #10
Site Team

...plus, if you fill the door cavities with lots of insulation, they lose the hollow tinny sound when you close them and instead close with a satisfying "thump".

Just be sure to keep the latch and lock mechanisms clear.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I hadn’t thought about the back door storage as I always assumed it was there from GWVans to ARV Sprinters via MB. Both doors have recessed pockets with netting. It does appear that the new models have bigger recesses than before. This is my new van’s pockets. The new pockets have two nets, a short inner one and a longer overall one as you can see by the water filter and the yellow item is a 15a adaptor attachment plug. Black on black makes it more difficult to see other than those items.

All our doors and walls have full coverage Dynamat sound treatment covered by Thinsulate. The floor and wheel wells have full Dynamat but no Thinsulate insulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9CA33CE2-C232-45C2-BA4C-C6A948B4B7B5.jpeg (545.5 KB, 29 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I hadn’t thought about the back door storage as I always assumed it was there from GWVans to ARV Sprinters via MB. Both doors have recessed pockets with netting. It does appear that the new models have bigger recesses than before. This is my new van’s pockets. The new pockets have two nets, a short inner one and a longer overall one as you can see by the water filter and the yellow item is a 15a adaptor attachment plug. Black on black makes it more difficult to see other than those items.

All our doors and walls have full coverage Dynamat sound treatment covered by Thinsulate. The floor and wheel wells have full Dynamat but no Thinsulate insulation.
It looks like MB molded cover with smaller net pocket with added larger packet designed to allow access to both, seems as combo from MB and ARV, good idea. My to do list just grew.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Novel idea.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMLetstryrving View Post
We just take less stuff with us....try it, you might like it?

Here's WHY...if you try and pack everything in your Class B, you're going to have a very difficult time moving everything around looking for what you've packed in.... taking less allows you to better organize. If we find something we're missing, we just stop and purchase it.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:04 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Not necessarily. It is totally possible to carry a huge amount of stuff and have nearly instant access to everything.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:10 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Not necessarily. It is totally possible to carry a huge amount of stuff and have nearly instant access to everything.
Agree, assuming someone has organizational skills.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:56 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default I'm glad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Agree, assuming someone has organizational skills.
Of course you are......I hope you're not over the OCCC weight capacity with all that extra stuff....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:08 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Of course you are............................................... ...............
Yes, I am.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Fully loaded, I’m 2,000 pounds under.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
We just take less stuff with us....try it, you might like it?

Here's WHY...if you try and pack everything in your Class B, you're going to have a very difficult time moving everything around looking for what you've packed in.... taking less allows you to better organize. If we find something we're missing, we just stop and purchase it.
You shouldn’t assume everyone else makes rookie mistakes. Some of us know exactly what our vans and equipment weigh, what we can carry, what may be needed and are organized. We probably don’t have a garage full of duplicates at home.

I think being organized and experienced one knows. We all aim to have less stuff. That is the nature of a Class B and you cannot overload a 3500 as it is nearly physically impossible space wise for most of us. I have seen 2500s that were seemingly overloaded.

I thought the subject was back door pockets.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
promaster, rear door, storage modification