Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2021, 11:38 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Just for the information of the OP and others, the yellow Sumo Spring bump stops turn reddish then reddish brown in short order. Mine turned from yellow to reddish brown within 6 months of install. I think this is normal and doesn't affect performance, but it just surprised me and seems weird that they do that.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I just looked at our 2007 Roadtrek 210 and see there is a similar metal "perch" below the small rear bump stop. I have contacted Sumo about how their bump stop will work with that perch between the axle and bumpstop. They said they will get back with me.

The bump stop appears to be attached by being pressed into a slot in the frame, or bolts very loosley tightened. I can wiggle both a good bit.

Do any of you know how these are attached to the frame?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1013.jpg (174.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtreker357 View Post
I just looked at our 2007 Roadtrek 210 and see there is a similar metal "perch" below the small rear bump stop. I have contacted Sumo about how their bump stop will work with that perch between the axle and bumpstop. They said they will get back with me.

The bump stop appears to be attached by being pressed into a slot in the frame, or bolts very loosley tightened. I can wiggle both a good bit.

Do any of you know how these are attached to the frame?
If I recall correctly, the OEM bump stops are simply pressed into the frame slot and held in place by the rubber tab on the rear of the stop. I assumed the shop that installed my Sumo Springs simply pried them out with a large screw driver or similar pry tool. Same for the front bump stops as well. There are Youtube videos showing the front removal that way.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #24

Agreed. OEM stops are just wedged into place. A screwdriver can be use to dislodge or put back in place. The perch has to be removed (sawed off) for the SumoSprings to seat properly above axle. Sumos are mechanically fastened with the nut/bolt in the slot.
LimboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #25
Platinum Member

there are user videos online

the stock rubber bump stops are levered out with a long screwdriver- on mine I pushed them from front to rear of vehicle worked well- you can't break anything

the metal tab is meant to be loosely mounted on the sumo ( apply locktight)

slid into the slot and then the sumo turned by hand to tight

I had trouble sliding tab into slot and after a few tries removed tab and placed in into the slot, holding in place with a screwdriver, and threaded the sumo into tab

tightened by hand and checked that they centered ( fore/aft) over the axle on my van pleasure way

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote