Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 05:26 AM   #41
Platinum Member

You have an A/C unit up there getting in the way, I think.

https://amsolar.com/rv-panel-klts

Can you get any to fit?
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
We recently drove from AZ to MN and back. Every campground, even state park ones, had electrical hookup. Once we were by a lake in beautiful scenery with spread out campsites, once in Iowa where we were the only ones there. Both had electrical. Maybe some of the trip planning could take that into consideration.
You would just need to add a shore powered 60 amp lithium charger. Right now you are into it for less than $1500 with two batteries, a B to B and lithium chargers. Don’t forget two battery monitors.

And the refrigerator, what is that? $1000.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Perhaps a compromise is to periodically camp at campgrounds where you do have electrical and top off your batteries there knowing that the next night you will be without that external power but your 200AH will do fine with the fridge. IOW treat the Lithiums/AGMs like you would an occasional dump.
My latest theory is that I only need to be able to run from battery until my black tank is full (three nights max). At that point I have to drive/dump anyway, so having more battery than black tank doesn't have much value to me.

Plus after a couple days in one spot I get bored and want to go exploring.

My hybrid has gone through several iterations, each having advantages and disadvantages.

In the current iteration, I have two B2B's between the chassis batteries and coach batteries - one for the AGM coach batteries and one for the lithium battery. I have SPDT A/B's in line so I can use the shore charger and solar chargers to charge either bank by flipping the switches. If I switch banks, I use the Victron bluetooth app to switch charge profiles.

If it weren't for our insanely cold winters I'd do things differently, probably by putting all charge sources on the lithium bank and having a small B2B to pull from the lithium bank and charge the AGM's.

In your case, using a B2B and a second shore charger to charge the lithium bank and leaving everything else as-is might be the simplest & least expensive way. If you are using the shore charger when camped at an electric site, then it can be a small one - you have all night to get topped off.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Yep, everyone’s requirements are different. My C cannot charge lithiums from the alternator. Works for me. It is made to sit.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:48 AM   #45
Platinum Member

An excellent discussion...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
You have an A/C unit up there getting in the way, I think.

https://amsolar.com/rv-panel-klts

Can you get any to fit?
You are correct: The AC fouls up the back area and with the fantastic fan vent and the two tank vents, finding room is tricky. Blueboy1 has the same RV/year as mine and he made some brackets to hold a panel above the AC. Sent me the CAD drawings. My 100w suitcase is 2 50w hinged panels and something smaller like that might work. I wonder how roof rack rails might work on a fglass top like ours. You could put crossbars in where ever needed and minimize mount hardware.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
If it weren't for our insanely cold winters I'd do things differently, probably by putting all charge sources on the lithium bank and having a small B2B to pull from the lithium bank and charge the AGM's.
That's my initial thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
In your case, using a B2B and a second shore charger to charge the lithium bank and leaving everything else as-is might be the simplest & least expensive way. If you are using the shore charger when camped at an electric site, then it can be a small one - you have all night to get topped off.
That seems like the above except "all sources except the shore charger" to the lithiums and "a new shore charger devoted to the AGM." Is that what you are saying?
Old 10-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
You would just need to add a shore powered 60 amp lithium charger. Right now you are into it for less than $1500 with two batteries, a B to B and lithium chargers.
I believe my PD conversion of the original Magnatec shore unit has a lithium profile but I don't think it is 60amps. Have to check. I do need 60, right?

Quote:
Don’t forget two battery monitors.
Yes, I'd probably add another Victron since I'd be able to view both on their bluetooth app. But I'm curious: I noticed on the Renogy site that some of their batteries are now coming with bluetooth monitoring. Don't know what that exactly means, though.

Quote:
And the refrigerator, what is that? $1000.
I'm guessing somewhere around that or slightly higher. I only need c3.0 cf which is what I have now. We manage fine with that. I'd have to modify the cabinetry to go larger (mostly higher) but larger fridges start to go up in amp draw.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:55 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
You are correct: The AC fouls up the back area and with the fantastic fan vent and the two tank vents, finding room is tricky. Blueboy1 has the same RV/year as mine and he made some brackets to hold a panel above the AC. Sent me the CAD drawings. My 100w suitcase is 2 50w hinged panels and something smaller like that might work. I wonder how roof rack rails might work on a fglass top like ours. You could put crossbars in where ever needed and minimize mount hardware.
Mine have held on for 10 years and counting by VHB tape. Wind loads are decreased by a vent cover ahead of the centered solar panel. Use your head and you can make it work. Edges of the VHB tape are sealed by dicor. AM Solar had a customer lose a tape mounted solar panel so they won’t recommend it anymore.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:01 AM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe my PD conversion of the original Magnatec shore unit has a lithium profile but I don't think it is 60amps. Have to check. I do need 60, right?
Nope. If your only source of AC power is shore power 60 amps is probably overkill. You have all night to charge. Maybe the converter is good enough.

I’m sure you will figure out what is best for you. Getting the vent to work for the compressor fridge will probably not be without it’s issues. Give yourself some time. Might ought to get on with it.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:34 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
That seems like the above except "all sources except the shore charger" to the lithiums and "a new shore charger devoted to the AGM." Is that what you are saying?
I think what I'm saying is....

It depends on whether or not you have an existing shore charger that is lithium compatible. If so, the existing shore charger on the lithium and a B2B for the AGM should work. If you have to buy a lithium compatible shore charger then there is no down side to having two - the old one for AGM, the new one for lithium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH
Yes, I'd probably add another Victron since I'd be able to view both on their bluetooth app.
FWIW - I'm happy with Victron gear. I use their 30A IP-22 shore charger on an A/B to charge either bank, switching profiles as needed. Most of their gear works well together.