Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
1) Mercedes forbids the use of any fuel additives, with the exception of cold-weather anti-jel

2) Can you point to any published sources that present data to back up the claim that US highway diesel does not consistently meet MB specs?
[EDIT: Excluding the forced biodiesel in MN.]

3) DPF issues have little to do with the BlueTec failures that plague Sprinters. It is unfortunate that this system limits our ability to idle for long periods, but this is simply a limitation that must be accepted. If the recommendations are followed, the DPF system works fine.

4) Please explain how poor fuel or following the OEM oil-change intervals can cause the kinds of BlueTec failures that we are talking about? These failures are clustered around various sensors and their associated electronics, the DEF-fill reminder system, DEF delivery, DEF tank heaters, and similar. Neither fuel nor oil gets anywhere near these systems. Bad fuel and/or lubrication issues could cause internal failures in the powertrain, but by all accounts Sprinters are very robust in this regard, and such failures are rare. The problem is emissions.

P.S. -- your reference to VW emissions systems is pretty funny.
NO company endorses the use of fuel additives, so what?! I maintain my vehicles based on my own experience and research which has worked out well so far. I also don't assume that manufacturers always have the consumer's best interests in mind. Sometimes they just want you spending money at the dealership for maint and repairs that could be avoided.

These emissions system failures typically result from excessive carbon buildup in the diesel particulate filters (DPF) that the regen process fails to burn off. Much of that buildup can be mitigated by improving fuel quality which improves fuel burn.

Let me be clear, I couldn't less whether you follow my suggestions or not, that's up to you and everyone else here to decide for yourselves. I'm definitely no expert and don't claim to be, but I do have experience maintaining modern diesels and have done so based on my own research and with positive results.

Bottom line, do your own research like I have, instead of picking a stupid argument. It's not my job to convince you of anything. This is an open discussion where we all exchange suggestions and ideas. If you don't like my suggestions, don't follow them. Simple. In any case, I don't know what your problem is, but you clearly have one. Chill!
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #42
Platinum Member

I've lived without propane for 4-1/2 years now and will live without it in the future. I have an all electric setup with diesel for continuous hot water and heating.

The only knock I have with diesel are the service station pumps--usually the pump handles are too dirty and there is a limited number of them at a service station so you might have to wait instead of pulling up to any of the empty ones. I check the pavement in front of the pumps. If there is a diesel stain I avoid the pump. Clear sign the auto shutoff is not working properly. Also you can't get diesel in every service station but that is usually in neighborhoods and places where you don't go anyway in an RV.

Does the gas Espar system available from any upfitter in America? Probably makes no difference since the current Sprinter gas engine is not up to the task for a full Class B setup says ARV. I'm still partial to Sprinters for design, function and quality.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Does the gas Espar system available from any upfitter in America? Probably makes no difference since the current Sprinter gas engine is not up to the task for a full Class B setup says ARV. I'm still partial to Sprinters for design, function and quality.
Embassy RV, for one, offers petrol Espars. I assume that any upfitter who does Espars and also offers gas engines would use it--not that exotic.

I agree that the gasoline powered Sprinter is not that interesting. I would also prefer a Sprinter all else being equal. But, given the magnitude of the baggage that comes with Sprinter diesel ownership, the Transit is close enough for me.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #44
Gold Member

Totally agree about the diesel pumps. Always travel with a box of disposal finishing gloves tucked inside the door which I use when fueling. They come in handy for dumping tanks as well.

A major reason diesel pumps are sloppy is a feature of the fuel. It does not vaporize as quickly as gasoline and is therefore less explosive when not under pressure. Just as much gasoline is spilled, but it quickly evaporates and does not leave the oily residue.

I believe it is better for the environment that diesel spills stay to be cleaned up vs evaporate into the atmosphere. There is a reason people make Molotovs out of soaked gasoline rags vs diesel.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Embassy RV, for one, offers petrol Espars. I assume that any upfitter who does Espars and also offers gas engines would use it--not that exotic.

I agree that the gasoline powered Sprinter is not that interesting. I would also prefer a Sprinter all else being equal. But, given the magnitude of the baggage that comes with Sprinter diesel ownership, the Transit is close enough for me.
Eberspacher NA (Espar) doesn’t sell gasoline heaters for NA RV market. https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/file...ADY_060514.pdf
Could be due to some restrictions to get RV verification. My personal experience with a gasoline powered furnace on our 1985 VW Westfalia was awful, we use unleaded gasoline.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #46
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi George,

Midwest Transit cites an electric on demand water heater and Espar Coach Furnace.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #47
Site Team

Rixens sells petrol versions:
https://www.rixens.com/sprinter-and-class-b-and-c-rvs

Heatso ships them to the US:
https://www.heatso.com/espar-airtron...e-air-heaters/

Many of the semi-custom upfitters install them. Random example:
https://www.vanspecialties.com/van-c...s/van-options/

ThermoKing installs them:
https://thermokingmichigan.com/products/hydronic/

I honestly don't think that availability or service is an issue.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #48
Platinum Member

When we were selling our 1985 Westfalia I was advised to remove the gasoline heater, don’t remember the exact reason, it had something to do with its legality regarding either road or RV use. But this was 33 years ago. Originally the heater was installed in Germany.

I would assume if major manufacturers use gasoline powered furnaces, they should be able to get RVIA seal of approval.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote