Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2 Frig Q

Good AM
2 Frig Q.....................
about 3 way Dometic
! ,,, will the frig run on propane , if the house batteries are dead?
2 ,, will the frig run on ac if the van is pluged in but, the batties are dead? And if the anwer is yes.... does that mean the battery chargrer will run constenly?
3, ( guess I really have 3 Q) if the frig will not run on AC ,because it still basicly runs through the bateries. Can you plug it directly into AC power some how ?
Thanks
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
Good AM
2 Frig Q.....................
about 3 way Dometic
! ,,, will the frig run on propane , if the house batteries are dead?
2 ,, will the frig run on ac if the van is pluged in but, the batties are dead? And if the anwer is yes.... does that mean the battery chargrer will run constenly?
3, ( guess I really have 3 Q) if the frig will not run on AC ,because it still basicly runs through the bateries. Can you plug it directly into AC power some how ?
Thanks
Michael
Hi:

Let me take a stab at this:

1. The fridge will probably not run on propane without battery. You have a solenoid switch for propane flow. Also some components of the fridge main board require electricity.
2. fridge should run on AC if plugged in even if house battery is dead. Your converter should shut off once the battery bank is charged?
3. If your fridge is not running on AC because it require battery bank. You can always plug the fridge directly into a 120volt outlet. Most 3 ways have a standard outlet in back. Theoretically, you can plug directly into a live outlet.

Hope that helps
Old 11-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The Batteries are dead so they will not take a charge.That's why I'm worried about have the charger run all the time. Or at leasttill we can replace the batterys.
o, I thimk there is still a Q about runing the charger for a long period??
Thanks for the reply.
Michael
Old 11-05-2022, 03:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The fridge requires at least 9.5 volts DC to it’s computer to run. Plugging it’s cord into AC alone will not turn on the fridge. Plugging the coach into AC, turning the battery contactor on to turn the converter on will run the fridge if DC voltage is 10 volts or higher with the dead batteries connected. Removing the batteries will probably help but the 12 volt battery lead has to be insulated.

It would be better to keep the batteries connected if you can get the proper voltage. Better yet to replace them with new batteries.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Will replace the batteries ASAP but need the fridge if possible
Thanks
Old 11-05-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

One of the things I'm trying to avoid is runining the battery charge by pluging in the van AND then have the charger run constanly running,,,, trying to charge the dead batteries.
This is a stop gap measure worse comes to worse I'll go buy a cooler.

thanks
Michael
l
Old 11-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
One of the things I'm trying to avoid is runining the battery charge by pluging in the van AND then have the charger run constanly running,,,, trying to charge the dead batteries.
This is a stop gap measure worse comes to worse I'll go buy a cooler.

thanks
Michael
l

The charger may not be able to be started anyway with a dead battery so may not even be possible. Even if it was possible, and depending on how bad a shape the battery is in, you don't want to be charging a bad battery for long periods as they can fail and even cause a fire in some cases.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

get a battery

to avoid possible damage to your converter which is even more expensive

( a duff battery is a constant drain/load on the electrical system, it is like trying to fill a bucket which has no bottom. at some point the constant work will discover or create a weak point in your converter, a diode will let go, a joint will create heat and the solder will fail or....if you are lucky it will just be a fuse or the battery itself could create heat.

none of these a good result)

in a pinch a regular car battery rather than a deep cycle/RV type battery would work to provide power for your fridge without stressing the converter, if you have one you can "appropriate" from another vehicle temporarily
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

OK cooler till I can get Bayyery
thanks
m
Old 11-13-2022, 04:09 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Not sure how anyone can help properly if they don’t know what you have or how it may be wired.
IF you have a red disconnect key that isolates your batteries, you can simply remove it and plug the van in as usual. The converter will provide the house with the 12V everything needs to work.
IF you have an electrical solenoid switch to turn the propane on/off and don’t have to do it manually, that takes electricity to open the propane flow and keep it going. That comes from 12V. So, if you’re not plugged in, you have so 12V source, so wouldn’t be able to keep the propane flowing unless you turn it on/off manually.
That should take care of all your scenarios depending on how your van is wired.
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #11
Platinum Member

your right I should have supplied my info,I try to remember but >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Roadtrek 210 p 2008 Chevy 3500 express
Thanks for the reply
I think we have the ploblem fixed,or I should say THAT problem fixed , Low oil we think.
Now we have a propane leak, so the 3 way ! is mute, at least till we get fixed.
Thanks for your reply
m