Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 11:45 PM   #121
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Good idea! Who gets the RT? The sick one or the healthy one?
As of right now it appears that one would isolate in the RT with or without symptoms, one with symptoms only, and one would not isolate either way. While there is no consensus, the idea has been respectfully accepted by the family as possible mitigation.
On the lighter side, consensus may be achievable if it is agreed that the occupant was to have food delivered to the door for the 14 day duration ... lol
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #122
Platinum Member

I'm frankly surprised at the RV industry for apparently not realizing the opportunities that are in front of it. Or maybe some of them ARE realizing, but if so, they are guarding the secret.

Yoo-hoo, you guys out there who troll the market looking for the Next Big Thing, you who lurk and scour forums like this one, Reddit, etc. for ideas --

You need to bust out of your discretionary / leisure paradigm, like, right now. We are transitioning into a world where self-contained vans will be highly sought-after for the combination of convenience plus protection that they afford to occupants.

The ability to travel from Point A to Point B without needing to use a public restroom or enter a crowded restaurant or grocery store or otherwise come into contact with potentially infectious sources... there are millions of at-risk Americans for whom that is now the Holy Grail that they need to find, even if they don’t consciously realize it yet (I suspect many of them do).

We are going to get to the point where the current travel restrictions are eased and public facilities open back up, but the world has now changed. People will remember what it felt like to be powerless and trapped in their own homes for weeks or months at a time. That memory will inspire them to establish alternatives in their own lives, so that they will be ready the next time something similar happens. The stock market is taking a beating, but the boomers will still have money at the end of this debacle. And what good is having money if you cannot even move around??

The market survivors will be those who realize the need to re-style and re-brand smaller, nimble "RVs" as something new, much the same way as we had a sport utility vehicle (SUV) revolution in the late 1990s.

VVs? Versatile vehicles? SCVs? Self-contained vehicles? The "R" in RV must be shed, along with the outdated paradigm that goes with it.

Short-sighted quote from this piece:

"Because buying an RV is a highly discretionary purchase, RV sales are likely to plummet to unprecedented levels as millions of people are getting laid off, and the US is entering a deep recession. The outlook for RV sales is very dark."
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #123
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If you local lift station goes down, your B may come to furnish your only working toilet.
Ahhh, the advantages of (personal) septic systems . . .
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #124
Platinum Member

What’re ya gonna do when your holding tank is full? Most dump stations are connected to the same public sewer systems.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #125
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
What’re ya gonna do when your holding tank is full? Most dump stations are connected to the same public sewer systems.
Good question. At my storage facility which is 4 miles away from my house, the two dump stations are connected to two septic systems.

Also, sewer outages tend to be localized. Somewhere in the system, there will be open ports.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #126
Platinum Member

This is where composting toilet would shine.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #127
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
This is where composting toilet would shine.
Assume you really mean a urine separator toilet as that is what is in RVs. Then you still have to deal with the urine - probably daily with two person use.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #128
Platinum Member

At home I use a Flojet portable 12 volt macerator pump with a cheap 1" irrigation hose and clean out my tanks into my home septic system. Once I got the irrigation hose set up it is quick and easy to dump the tanks. I rarely use campground dump stations anymore for short trips because it is easier to dump at home. It also allows me to attach my garden hose to the hose tap on the Flojet macerator pump to get the tanks much cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-185550...5781652&sr=8-5
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:41 AM   #129
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Assume you really mean a urine separator toilet as that is what is in RVs. Then you still have to deal with the urine - probably daily with two person use.
I remember days towing our camping trailer. On occasion I had to park between semi trucks on rest stops, very often strong urine smell was awful. So, "composting" toilet is a partial solution.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #130
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
^^ (thumbs up) In our case, in a subtropical environment of seven million people, with restricted conventional sewage disposal in the scenario mentioned. Someone would need to explain to me how and where all that urine would be disposed in a responsible and sanitary way, because dumping it along the back fence would not cut it.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #131
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
.... Hopefully, it will not be necessary to use the RT for this purpose, but we have prepared it for "stationary habitation" so that it could be used as a 14 day isolation residence, should one of us unfortunately begin to show symptoms of having the Covid 19 virus.
Aaaand today we hear of this story where someone did exactly the same thing for the same reason, only to have to fight their HOA.

And this was a nurse who needs all the logistical support she can get.

We need some kind of federal blanket by-rule disaster-related code to suspend this kind of nonsense. In the regulatory world, a (slang) "by-rule" refers to a provision that is exactly that, a declaration established by simple decree, rather than by procedural outcome. "Thou shalt not interfere with medical response in a national disaster" or somesuch.

Edit: In contrast to that story above, someone else just emailed me this, a story of idle RVs being put to medical use. "RVs 4 MDs" - catchy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/us/co...rnd/index.html
Old 04-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #132
Platinum Member

That RV in an HOA is anecdotal. I suspect there is more to the story. She parked it there on the come since she didn't need it there at the time. There could have been some past history too in regard to that RV.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #133
Platinum Member

Quote:
Aaaand today we hear of this story where someone did exactly the same thing for the same reason, only to have to fight their HOA.

And this was a nurse who needs all the logistical support she can get.

We need some kind of federal blanket by-rule disaster-related code to suspend this kind of nonsense. In the regulatory world, a (slang) "by-rule" refers to a provision that is exactly that, a declaration established by simple decree, rather than by procedural outcome. "Thou shalt not interfere with medical response in a national disaster" or somesuch.

Edit: In contrast to that story above, someone else just emailed me this, a story of idle RVs being put to medical use. "RVs 4 MDs" - catchy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/us/co...rnd/index.html
It looks like the same story; I missed the beginning of the program and assumed it was local news from Portland Oregon.

My biggest issue with HOA was about 20 years ago when we were building an additional garage which would be invisible from the street. Garage’s exterior was matching verbatim the house. One member of the HOA board didn’t agree to issue the permit so I said, OK, sue me. Fortunately, other members were very reasonable.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:22 PM   #134
Platinum Member

The other side of the story:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...ine-rv-debate/

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:38 PM   #135
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
"...neither [householder is] infected with the COVID-19 virus nor have they been directed by authorities to self quarantine. Hence, they have no immediate or justifiable need to keep an RV at their residence."

Duh, under prevailing conditions, if she waits until she's infected, it'll be too late to shield her family. She put her rig in her driveway in preparation for, and in expectation of, being called to the front lines, where getting infected is a strong possibility.

The point is to separate high-risk people (such as front-line medical workers) *before* they spread it asymptomatically to others. I admit that comms could have been better among those parties, but I don't feel that the nurse's preemptive action was unreasonable. If every American's mental process follows that of her HOA board member, then we might as well all just throw in the towel right now, because there'll be no end to COVID-19.

I've been surprised at the general rigidity of thinking throughout this pandemic. Yes, it's our first big one, but people should be capable of taking in new information and acting on it swiftly. Many are simply not - they reactively default to oh-so-2019 thinking and paradigms.

The single most important thing that people can do right now is to NOT become infected with coronavirus.

The second most important thing is a corollary of the first - don't infect other people with coronavirus.

Perhaps the easiest way to process what that will require logistically is to start with the end goal - "me not infected" - and work backwards from there.

Depending on personal circumstances, a lot of unusual scaffolding may need to be erected in one's life in order to realize those goals. And that may involve a need to stage an RV or a Class B in a driveway for a time.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #136
Platinum Member

Quote:
"...neither [householder is] infected with the COVID-19 virus nor have they been directed by authorities to self quarantine. Hence, they have no immediate or justifiable need to keep an RV at their residence."

Duh, under prevailing conditions, if she waits until she's infected, it'll be too late to shield her family. She put her rig in her driveway in preparation for, and in expectation of, being called to the front lines, where getting infected is a strong possibility.

The point is to separate high-risk people (such as front-line medical workers) *before* they spread it asymptomatically to others. I admit that comms could have been better among those parties, but I don't feel that the nurse's preemptive action was unreasonable. If every American's mental process follows that of her HOA board member, then we might as well all just throw in the towel right now, because there'll be no end to COVID-19.

I've been surprised at the general rigidity of thinking throughout this pandemic. Yes, it's our first big one, but people should be capable of taking in new information and acting on it swiftly. Many are simply not - they reactively default to oh-so-2019 thinking and paradigms.

The single most important thing that people can do right now is to NOT become infected with coronavirus.

The second most important thing is a corollary of the first - don't infect other people with coronavirus.

Perhaps the easiest way to process what that will require logistically is to start with the end goal - "me not infected" - and work backwards from there.

Depending on personal circumstances, a lot of unusual scaffolding may need to be erected in one's life in order to realize those goals. And that may involve a need to stage an RV or a Class B in a driveway for a time.

Yep, I would bet there a lot of things going on that are technically against the rules or even against the law, but not enforced because they are the right thing to do. Doctors are living in their garages so they don't infect their families, and most places that isn't legal and the HOA probably has rules besides, but it is the right thing to do.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:29 AM   #137
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=InterBlog;106847………………………….
Duh, under prevailing conditions, if she waits until she's infected, it'll be too late to shield her family. ………………………….[/QUOTE]

Exactly, catastrophes always exposed the good and bad sides of us. In this case it was hopefully just a limited IQ of the fellow from HOA.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #138
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Exactly, catastrophes always exposed the good and bad sides of us. In this case it was hopefully just a limited IQ of the fellow from HOA.
My Class B is in our driveway semi-permanently at this point, and I've been going to extreme measures to achieve "me not infected". We have a medically-vulnerable loved one who we may take into our home and isolate completely if our local conditions get very bad. It's just my husband and me, and as a government contractor, he can work 100% from home, so we can actually lock down for a longer period than many people, if conditions force us to.

The present infection curves are not accurate, which makes that HOA member's comments even more absurd. NBC did a story yesterday in which a Houston doctor argued that local cases appear to be 5 to 10 times higher than what is currently "reported" (which I think partially means "predicted").
Old 04-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #139
Site Team

Default CNN:

People living in vans and RVs are getting squeezed during pandemic
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #140
Platinum Member

Default Nice to see ... hopefully more RV dealers will do the same

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1934321#1934321
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote