Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Landed Gear Spare Mount

Anyone have experience with the Landed Gear spare tire mount for the Promaster? Either mounted on the left or right

Thanks

Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

12Jul21 -
If UPS delivery on Wed is accurate, I shall be receiving my Landed Gear passenger rear door spare tire mount. I will install it by the weekend. I can let you know how that goes. If you have any questions now, fire away. I may not know the answer now but might by the time I complete the install.

My wife and I don't tow anything behind our Travato 59K and do not particularly plan too so the added weight of mount/tire/wheel aft of the rear axle will be insignificant within our total GVW.

StorysRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:46 AM   #3
Silver Member

StorysRVwego, I'll be interested to read your report.

My biggest question is more about long term effect of that spare tire mount on the door, so it maybe a while before you can answer that.

Good luck with the install.

SD
Old 07-14-2021, 02:52 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
12Jul21 -
If UPS delivery on Wed is accurate, I shall be receiving my Landed Gear passenger rear door spare tire mount. I will install it by the weekend. I can let you know how that goes. If you have any questions now, fire away. I may not know the answer now but might by the time I complete the install.

My wife and I don't tow anything behind our Travato 59K and do not particularly plan too so the added weight of mount/tire/wheel aft of the rear axle will be insignificant within our total GVW.

StorysRVwego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
StorysRVwego, I'll be interested to read your report.

My biggest question is more about long term effect of that spare tire mount on the door, so it maybe a while before you can answer that.

Good luck with the install.

SD
I highly suggest you both speak to Landing Gear. They should be able to advise you. If not, it's a big red flag.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
Gold Member

My Christmas present for this year! I carried a door mounted spare on a Sprinter for 8 years with no problem and expect this will be the same.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
My Christmas present for this year! I carried a door mounted spare on a Sprinter for 8 years with no problem and expect this will be the same.
There have been more than a few reports of skin separation on Promaster rear doors stemming from the door mounted bike racks. I myself have noticed that the alignment of the two doors was affected by the additional weight of 2 mountain bikes totaling less than 65lbs. I don't think I'd hang the weight of a spare tire and wheel on the door. A hitch mounted solution would be my preference. YMMV.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

A review of Promaster rear doors after 5 years of use.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:30 AM   #8
Platinum Member

15jul2021
Posting as a reply to Sleeping Dog but of course for all forum members to read.
I received the LANDED GEAR Promaster Spare Tire Mount about noon today. Had lunch first and started on this project about 12:55. Add some small talk time and misc other, it was done by 3 but actual time for everything including putting the few tools required away and final cleanup? Just about an hour total. The job should be done with two people so my wife and I did this together.

Packaging inside the shipping carton, excellent. Small hardware in a box and inside that box, all parts were grouped in bags clear vision bags. The mount itself fit the carton with it's own simple packing that insured everything would ship best possible. Instructions included of course, along with an excellent template. A terrific start.

I did watch their video so I already had an idea of the process. The 3 pages of instructions are however, all you will require. Concise steps and illustrations leave no question what to do. The template was pre-punched with the locations to drill the door. In this case, I ordered the kit for the passenger side rear door so the template included in the kit was for that.

The first step is to remove the inner door panel, an easy and quick process to do right of the bat.

With a clean exterior door surface, I used some of the blue "paint" masking tape to secure the template which again the instructions clearly indicated where to place. I have a spring loaded punch so that provided me with the center to use a 1/8 inch drill bit. That was followed by a Step Drill which I had marked to use the 7/16 inch ring as the final size of the four holes. Step Drills leave a fairly clean hole but I have another bit for my drill to clean any of the minor burrs left by the Step Drill. I strongly recommend this is the only drill you use to make these holes, beyond the standard 1/8" drill bit for the starter holes.

The following steps in the provided instructions define what is also shown in the included illustration for stacking specific spacers and insulators on either side of the door for the upper and lower bolts. There are also door Stiffeners added to the lower bolts on the inside of the door. Once all of the components are installed and tightened, the frame of the spare tire mount is solidly mounted with what I feel is excellent engineering for load bearing the mount and spare tire on these doors. In the final steps, you place a door "check" strap to insure the door with spare in place does not swing to far open. After the check strap is in place, you align your 70 lb tire and wheel (standard cast wheel and tire for the Travato) on the mount alignment pins and then secure the tire with the also provided lug bolts. A deep well socket for the lug bolts is also provided in the kit!

This is one very well thought out and engineered product! And it was frankly a blast for my wife and I to install. Really!

Getting back to your question Sleeping Dog re what is the long term effect of a spare mounted on the rear door, in 2-3 years I might be able to answer that. What do I think? Bearing in mind the other poster that made reference to door skin separation and another that linked a video re adjusting the door alignment? Over time, any door can require adjustment. RE skin separation, I've never heard or seen a ProMaster door having skin separation. I don't imagine it would suffer any different than other brand/model van doors. They appear to be manufactured quite well to me. I can tell you this; I climb the Roof Rack ladder a lot. I mean a lot. Because I am a ham radio operator with antennas on the roof and in particular my HF antenna that I tie down for travel (still works in limited fashion) and put up vertical at every overnight and many day-only stops. 185 to 190 pounds of me going up and down for that and for oft-cleaning of the original single solar panel, now two up there. The drivers door is no worse for the wear or alignment for nearly 3 years of my climbing. I was only worried about the aluminum rungs on the ladder but these are fine so I stopped worrying about that. The ladder storage frame on the door is not as secure nor has the well spaced, weight distribution hardware that this LANDED GEAR Spare Tire Mount has. 187-ish pounds of me up and down or a 70 lb tire and lets say 5 lbs (guessing on the fly) of the tire mount itself. I think it will be fine. Granted, that 70 lbs is in place while trundling down the road with all of it's pot holes and bumps. I don't see the FWD PM and WB coach as an off road rig. If I did, then I'd expect the interior coach to be built way differently than the Travato and many Class B's regardless of chassis are built for. Buying the right rig for the purpose matters. My wife and I are mostly done with what I call "dirt" camping. Not an offence to that. We've done a lot of that in earlier years and now we simply road travel.

Obviously a solid frame mounted tire mount with an axle-like spindle for the swing away is the optimal solution if one knows their RV use is destined for rougher use. But for much expected use from sedate roads to some level of off road, my opinion is that the PM doors with this mount is up to the task. If I set it up correctly, you should be able to see my installation pictures at the link below. Apologies in advance if I muffed that and need to provide picture access another way.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/il5pl9s6o...5aoN3hfva?dl=0

For those that might like have what I did on my RAM Promaster 3500EXT/WINNEBAGO Travato 59K, you can find this tire mount at this URL below. No-- I don't work for them and never been to their facility. My wife found this mount online. Link below takes you direct to the Passenger side version but poke around their site for the Left door version or other stuff they have.

https://landedgear.com/collections/s...ight-hand-door

StoryRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:37 AM   #9
Silver Member

@StoryRVwego Thanks for the update. Good to hear that the product was complete and the instructions clear.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thanks StoryRVwego... great description. I wasn't sure if my new little Promaster would come with a spare, and I had sent the link to the company that was doing my conversion. They agreed that to them it appeared very well done and safe... and they said that if needed they could add extra support. But it turned out that my tiny van does have the undermount spare.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:33 PM   #11
Silver Member

Ram, doesn't provide a spare as standard equipment on the Promaster, only a combination compressor/fix a flat contraption. They do offer, as an option, a spare located underneath, behind the rear axle. But many RV upfitters use that space to locate the generator, which sends you looking for alternatives to locate a spare.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Actually both my 2018 2500 and my new 2021 1500 came with the undermount spare. I didn't add it to my 1500... in fact, the fix-a-flat thing was the option on the web page.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:46 PM   #13

Default Ladder tanks

Where can you find tanks that fit on the rear ladder? Thanks
Firewood is offline   Reply With Quote