Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Water leak, barbed fittings, Oetiker clamps.

A few days ago, I discovered a major issue in my campervan, during the fresh water tank pressure fill-up water leaked everywhere, driver side front, outdoor shower in the back and around the Isotemp water heater under the van. All water coming in was leaking out, none was going into the tank.

I pinpointed the problem to water hoses near the galley’s sink. To get access to these hoses or fittings I had to remove the galley. Fortunately, this was not difficult, the galley is bolted to the floor and attached to adjacent aft cabinet with one 80/20 fastener.

Leak was on the barbed reducing coupler connecting 1/2” to 3/8” hoses. All my plumbing is using 1/2” reinforced tubing with OET clamps except about 1.5’ hoses from 1/2” to 3/8” to the sink’s faucet. All of my 1/2” OET clamps secured hoses very well but 3/8” hose hot water was the problem. At the barbed reducing coupler 3/8” hose was decoupled and cold-water hose was about 1/4” out. Cole Palmer quick 3/8” connectors with OET were fine. So out of four 3/8” hose connectors one completely failed, one was heading there and 2 were OK on plastic Cole Parmer quick couplers.

The issue was with OET hose clamps, back in 2013 I had 2 choices from OET line of clamps:

1. OET 15.7 covering 13-16mm or
2. OET 17.0 covering 15-17mm

The hose diameter on the barbed fitting was about 16 mm and because OET #15.7 clamps were very difficult to insert I chose OET #17.0, well, it was a wrong choice.

Simple remedy, I replaced both 3/8” hoses with OET #15.7 clamps, with some struggle I got barbed ends in and hopefully solve the issue.

This was the major problem with my conversion, fortunately galley removal with plumbing and electrical quick connectors was about a 30 min. job. Main floor is factory corrugated plastic sandwiched with fiberglass polyurethane foam layer so water will just drain and evaporate without causing any wood damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR03083.jpg (457.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03084.jpg (472.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03092.jpg (619.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03104.jpg (646.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03096.jpg (524.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03101.jpg (541.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03110.jpg (517.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03111.jpg (494.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03112.jpg (546.9 KB, 3 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

"The hose diameter on the barbed fitting was about 16 mm and because OET #15.7 clamps were very difficult to insert I chose OET #17.0, well, it was a wrong choice."

George, we all do that. But not everyone has the access you created, impressive. Is your middle name Humble?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"The hose diameter on the barbed fitting was about 16 mm and because OET #15.7 clamps were very difficult to insert I chose OET #17.0, well, it was a wrong choice."

George, we all do that. But not everyone has the access you created, impressive. Is your middle name Humble?

Bud
Thank you. From the get go modularity was high on my list of objectives. My modules were built on the bench than mounted in the van. This approach paid back well in easy access for upgrades or fixes.

No, my middle name is not Humble, but I found Humble Road videos entertaining. Not always agree with his conversion conclusions but his videos are indeed excellent.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water leak oetiker barbed