Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #21
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm an old fart and 40 lbs. is too heavy and getting heavier every year. If there is an alternative to cassettes or lifting a stinky toilet and urine bucket (composting) I'm all for it. Oh wait! There is. It's that USA preferred method of black and grey holding tanks and gravity or pumping into a hose right into a hole in the ground.

I had to dump exactly twice on our recent 37 day trip and will dump once again now that I am home. That's once every 12 days and takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish. The largest tanks one can have is the key.

Same old sh*t Davdd, you really really do know your sh*t sometimes, ok often.

Bud

Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:28 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Interesting black and white topics, not much grey scale there. A science of a political wedge tool - choke a grey scale:

Cassette or black tank
Big lithium or AGM
Gas or diesel
B shower or not
Solar or useless solar.

I like Sony FF, my God - Nikonians will kill me.

GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Interesting black and white topics, not much grey scale there. A science of a political wedge tool - choke a grey scale:

Cassette or black tank
Big lithium or AGM
Gas or diesel
B shower or not
Solar or useless solar.

I like Sony FF, my God - Nikonians will kill me.
Well, I am a Canonian and I won’t kill you...

You forgot to mention composting toilets which get even better discussions than cassette toilets do. Americans seem to be very paranoid about getting poop on their hands. Why does everyone else in the world outside of North America have no big issues with cassette toilets? Maybe a potty training issue??
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 AM   #24
jon
Platinum Member

Having used a cassette toilet for two years I have to chime in.

Having a cassette is super convenient. I don't have to worry about dump stations....but it's getting old having to haul my cassette through the house every trip. The thought of waiting in long dump lines always makes the chore seem worth it.

My next RV will have a black tank and I will strategically place my sewer clean-out in my driveway when I build our retirement in a couple years.

Yea...I feel like I'm getting to be an old fart who doesn't want to haul the family's s**t around any more.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:22 AM   #25
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You need the rear window (or a camera) to know whether you are being followed by a cop.
That's why you have rear view mirrors.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:27 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Anyone who can lift 40 lb should not have any trouble dumping a 5 gallon cassette when full. Consider giving it a try before you dismiss it. I do it easily and it is located about 5 ft off the ground on our vehicle and I am what would be classified as an old fart...
I don't need to try it.i have had 6 back surgerys and am only limited to lift one gallon of milk. So 50 lbs is too much for me.
Plus I would hate to get up to use the bathroom and realize cassette is full. Doesn't take much to fill up 5 gallons.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
... I read that over time using the side mirrors becomes a breeze. Any of the Travato or Aktiv owners find their vans difficult to drive?
Travato G Owner: My Travato (and I keep the rear windows permanently covered), is TWICE as easy to drive, and has TWICE the visibility as my Dodge Conversion Van with windows all the way around. The FOUR side mirrors function excellently, and the high mounted back up camera is superb in my opinion.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #28
Platinum Member

funny how these cassette discussions go off the rails.

for the record - pulling it out of it's compartment is 2-2.5 feet off the ground, not 5.

the weight, completely full, is around 36 lbs. the weight is only pulling it out and setting it down. it's like a rolling suitcase with wheels and a handle. when empty it weighs 2-3 pounds to put back in it's slot. If you can't manage that amount of weight, i don't see how you are fit enough to travel around the country. you must always eat out and never haul in your own grocery bags.

having a cassette does not preclude using the dump station. You just stick the pipe down the hole and push the button. done in 10 secs. what you do get is the convenience of having options if there is no dump station where you are.

I really don't understand the animus expressed by some at the temerity of some companies that would offer this option. the big benefit is having a much smaller footprint for the bathroom, as well as winter capability for those so inclined. not everyone wants 1/3 of their floorplan devoted to a poop room.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #29
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
funny how these cassette discussions go off the rails.

for the record - pulling it out of it's compartment is 2-2.5 feet off the ground, not 5.

. . .
I should have made a quote.

My post was a remark/reply on gregmchugh's cassette; he has an expedition type RV, not a class b, which according to him, has the cassette at a height of 5 ft off the ground.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
I should have made a quote.

My post was a remark/reply on gregmchugh's cassette; he has an expedition type RV, not a class b, which according to him, has the cassette at a height of 5 ft off the ground.

Yes, my cassette is a little higher off the ground than a Class B, I was just suggesting that if an old geezer like me can easily deal with one 5 ft off the ground then you whippersnappers should be able to handle one closer to the ground in a Class B...

Here is how you end up with one 5 ft off the ground...

Patagonia on Kenworth 2017-2 | Global Expedition Vehicles

gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aktiv, travato, voltstart