Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 12:55 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Are you suggesting that you might not consider a future sprinter if they do not come out with a "9 speed transmission and a gas 4 cylinder with more torque and horsepower?"

I think everyone who has disagreed with you here has stated that their primary problem with the Sprinter is the diesel exhaust system, and so they also would be more inclined to buy a Sprinter if it had a "9 speed transmission and a gas 4 cylinder with more torque and horsepower."
I know all about DEF. If you read the second post in this group I answered the concerns about DEF in NEW Sprinters which is the topic of this thread and the responses were about OLD Sprinters. My comment about a gas Sprinter was to allay any concerns about DEF for those entrenched against, and by the way, It's coming.

If you read my tag, I've bought 4 Sprinters in 17 years. I like to try new things is all and get the itch to design my ideas (I'm an architect) which is why I gravitated to new Sprinters from Advanced RV from articulating beds, the first in a Class B to the challenge of simply designing a totally custom interior in a 144 short van getting everything in that I had in a 5' longer Sprinter. I actually got a bigger bathroom and more storage.

I'm 78 years old. I can see the day where I might give up RVing for a world cruises. I've been repeating most of my RV travels now. I probably don't have to see the Grand Canyon for a 5th time. I'm more focused on family, friends, events, rallies, craft wineries, distilleries and breweries, and one of my hobbies of pursuing the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich (295 different ones in 30 states.) I created a 66,000 member Facebook group for that.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Default There's absolutely no question that the diesel is the most problematic

I think everyone who has disagreed with you here has stated that their primary problem with the Sprinter is the diesel exhaust system, and so they also would be more inclined to buy a Sprinter if it had a "9 speed transmission and a gas 4 cylinder with more torque and horsepower."[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to say that this is really true.... the diesel emissions system has too many issues.....IF I did it all over again I would have gotten the gasoline engine.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:54 PM   #63
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I think everyone who has disagreed with you here has stated that their primary problem with the Sprinter is the diesel exhaust system, and so they also would be more inclined to buy a Sprinter if it had a "9 speed transmission and a gas 4 cylinder with more torque and horsepower."

I'm sorry to say that this is really true.... the diesel emissions system has too many issues.....IF I did it all over again I would have gotten the gasoline engine.....[/QUOTE]

BUT WAIT a moment. IF you were buying new today and had a good personal experience with your present Sprinter like Ddave, what then?
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:22 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are you suggesting that you might not consider a future sprinter if they do not come out with a "9 speed transmission and a gas 4 cylinder with more torque and horsepower?"

DavyDD: Although i very much value your contributions to this forum, I find your answers to this issue frustrating. You didn't answer my question (quoted above) which quotes you seeming to suggest that you don't like the Sprinter diesel power train, and would prefer a properly powered gas power train. Is that true?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
DavyDD: Although i very much value your contributions to this forum, I find your answers to this issue frustrating. You didn't answer my question (quoted above) which quotes you seeming to suggest that you don't like the Sprinter diesel power train, and would prefer a properly powered gas power train. Is that true?
I said I like to try new things but I doubt I will ever get a 5th Class B. I will repeat though there is nothing wrong with the new Sprinters that I can see with DEF that no one else has responded in this thread with actual hands on experience. A gas engine Sprinter is a moot subject for me. It was a statement for those dead set against diesel.

I will say I have enjoyed the best cab driving comfort, a reliable diesel engine that needed no tuneups, visits to dealers and oil changes every 20,000 miles, 5 year engine and drive train warranty, and an RV getting 19+ mpg with a practical all-day range of 400 miles before fill up. It makes about $11 filling 2.5 gallons of DEF every 7,000 miles worth it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote